A group of rabbis warned U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry to cease his pursuit of the peace process between Israel and the Palestinians or face divine retribution in a letter sent by them Sunday.
- Bennett threatens to bolt coalition if Kerry deal 'inconsistent' with his values
- Kerry's success would be Zionism's success too
- Rice tweets: Israel, we’re mad as hell and not going to take it anymore
- As Kerry works on peace framework, Jewish groups keeping low profile
- Settler advocacy group posts video mocking Kerry
- Israeli artists to John Kerry: We support your peace efforts
- American Jewish leaders come out in support of Kerry peace effort
The group, calling itself "The Committee to Save the Land and People of Israel," wrote that Kerry's "incessant efforts to expropriate integral parts of our Holy Land and hand them over to Abbas’s terrorist gang, amount to a declaration of war against the Creator and Ruler of the universe!"
The group claimed that the plan, by placing them in the line of missile fire, would imperil six million Jews, adding in brackets "remember that number from somewhere?"
The letter went on to warn that if Kerry went through with his plans he would win himself "everlasting disgrace in Jewish history for bringing calamity upon the Jewish people," joining the likes of Neo-Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar II and Roman emperor Titus.
The rabbis warned Kerry that like these monarchs and Haman, the villain of the Book of Esther, he will suffer divine retribution for his affront to God's chosen people. The letter ends with a quote from Isaiah 9:5 "Conspire a plan and it will be frustrated; talk the talk and it will not be fulfilled, for God is with us."
The signatories of the letter, emeritus head of Haifa Rabbinic Court Gedalya Axelrod, Temple Institute chairman Yisrael Ariel, Migdal Haemek rabbi Ben Tziyon Grossman, Institute for Complete Code of Maimonides dean Shalom Dov Wolpo and Yeshiva of Kiryat Shmuel dean Yigal Pizam, claim they represent other rabbis who are also members of the Committee to Save the Land and People of Israel and "hundreds of other Rabbis in Israel and around the world."