Courtesy of Ofir Arbel, chef at Lekhem Erez.
1 cup matza flour
1 cup mineral water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 container sour cream
1 jar Lekhem Erez "Schmaltz" herring
1 jar preserved lemon
1 bottle Israeli olive oil
1/2 lemon (wrap in Saran Wrap)
1/4 red onion sliced into rings
1 tbs sliced green onion
1. Boil water with oil and salt.
2. Once boiled remove from flame and let cool for 5 minutes then add sugar and flour while beating until combined. Then add eggs, one by one. Set aside for 11 minutes.
3. Place 1 1/2 tbs dabs approximately 2 cm apart on parchment paper.
4. Bake in a preheated oven set to 220C for 12-14 minutes.
5. Open sour cream, add 1 tbs olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper to taste, and stir.
6. Spread 2 tbs of the sour cream mixture on a plate.
7. Place herring on sour cream, salt and pepper, squeeze lemon over the dish and put the green onion and red onion on top.
8. Serve with clemente olives and preserved lemon. Pour some olive oil on top.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now