A recipe from Shoula Sutton, which has been in her family for generations.
- Damascus Charoset
- Syrian Passover Recipe: Kibbeh B’riz
- Modern Manna Recipe / Syrian All-spice Seasoning
- A Syrian Seder Brings Back Memories of Damascus
Kibbeh Stuffing (tadbileh)
May be made two days in advance of making the kibbeh b'riz. Also may be frozen weeks in advance.
5 tsp. canola oil
pine nuts (about 2 oz.)
3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped very finely
2 cups ground beef
3/4 tsp. Syrian all spice seasoning
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water
1. Put 1 teaspoon of canola oil and the pine nuts in a pan. Turn heat to medium and roast the pine nuts for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly golden. Set aside.
2. Add 4 teaspoons oil and the onions to a separate pan. Turn heat to medium-low and Sauté the onions until soft and light golden color (about 10 minutes).
3. Add ground beef. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook until the meat is browned and crumbly, using a fork to stir. When the meat is almost ready add 1/4 teaspoon of the Syrian allspice seasoning.
4. Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan and the cinnamon and stir. Cook on medium heat until the water begins to boil then lower to medium-low and cook until the water has evaporated completely, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
5. Add the rest of the all spice and the pine nuts and mix.