A recipe from Shoula Sutton, which has been in her family for generations.
Kibbeh Stuffing (tadbileh)
May be made two days in advance of making the kibbeh b'riz. Also may be frozen weeks in advance.
5 tsp. canola oil
pine nuts (about 2 oz.)
3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped very finely
2 cups ground beef
3/4 tsp. Syrian all spice seasoning
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water
1. Put 1 teaspoon of canola oil and the pine nuts in a pan. Turn heat to medium and roast the pine nuts for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly golden. Set aside.
2. Add 4 teaspoons oil and the onions to a separate pan. Turn heat to medium-low and Sauté the onions until soft and light golden color (about 10 minutes).
3. Add ground beef. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook until the meat is browned and crumbly, using a fork to stir. When the meat is almost ready add 1/4 teaspoon of the Syrian allspice seasoning.
4. Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan and the cinnamon and stir. Cook on medium heat until the water begins to boil then lower to medium-low and cook until the water has evaporated completely, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
5. Add the rest of the all spice and the pine nuts and mix.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now