Israeli Border Policeman Critically Wounded in Jerusalem Stabbing Attack

Border policeman stabbed by 18-year-old Palestinian at Damascus Gate, but managed to shoot attacker before collapsing.

Olivier Fitoussi

An Israeli border policeman was critically wounded in a stabbing attack at the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem Sunday morning. The officer was stabbed in the neck, but managed to shoot the attacker before collapsing.

"When we arrived, we found a young man around 20 lying unconscious with a number of stab wounds to his upper body," Magen David Adom paramedic Aharon Adler told Haaretz."

"We immediately provided life-saving treatment and evacuated him to Shaare Zedek hospital in very serious condition." The officer's condition stabilized after undergoing surgery, the hospital said Sunday afternoon.

According to an Israel Police spokesperson, the perpetrator was an 18-year-old Palestinian who lives in the West Bank. He was evacuated to Hadasah, Ein Kerem hospital in critical condition.

Following the incident, security forces began combing the area with police helicopters.

Yisrael Beiteinu chairman Avigdor Lieberman blasted the Palestinian Authority and the current Israeli government following the attack. 

Lieberman said that today's attack, combined with the recently renewed rocket fire from Gaza and Friday's shooting in the West Bank, are the result of the Palestinian Authority's incitement combined with the "weakness exuded by the Israeli government."

Lieberman then called on the government to take practical steps to ensure the security of Israeli citizens, primarily through aggressive moves against Hamas in Gaza and the West Bank.

The stabbing comes amid recent tensions in Jerusalem over the past several days, particularly after incidents of stone-throwing around the Old City.

On Saturday, stones were thrown at a bus and a private vehicle, lightly injuring the driver. A 16-year-old Palestinian was later detained in relation to the incident. 

Later Saturday night, a firebomb was thrown at the Beit Hanina-Neve Yaakov junction. However, the bottle missed and no one was injured.

This is the first attack in Jerusalem since late May, when two Jewish youths were stabbed by a knife-wielding assailant in Jerusalem’s Old City land hospitalized with light to moderate wounds. The suspect, a Palestinian man, fled the scene but was later apprehended by security services at his East Jerusalem home.

On Friday, an Israeli was shot dead and another was wounded near the Ein Buvin spring in the West Bank.

This is a developing story.