Israeli Man Succumbs to Wounds Following West Bank Shooting

Nir Hasson
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
The West Bank settlement of Alon Shvut, following the shooting attack on June 29, 2015.Credit: Tomer Appelbaum
Nir Hasson

An Israeli man died Tuesday from critical wounds sustained a day earlier in a drive-by shooting attack near the West Bank settlement of Shvut Rachel.  

Malakhi Moshe Rosenfeld, 26, and three others were wounded in the attack; the others victims sustained moderate injuries. Rosenfeld was shot in the torso, and was taken in for surgery overnight at the Shaare Zedek Medical Center, where he later succumbed to his wounds.

The other victims remain hospitalized, but in stable condition. One is being treated at Shaare Zedek and the other two are at the Hadassah Hospital in Ein Karem.

Malakhi Moshe Rosenfeld, far right with water bottle.

Rosenfeld, a resident of the Kokhav Hashahar settlement, was traveling late Monday with a few friends home from the settlement of Eli, where they had gone to play basketball. He was sitting in the front passenger's seat when gunshots sprayed onto their car. Eighteen bullets in total struck the vehicle.  

Rosenfeld was a student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, enrolled in the joint philosophy and economics program. His brother, Yitzhak, a pilot in the air force, was killed in 2002 when the jeep he was driving in the southern desert was swept up by a flood.

Hamas' military wing, Iz al-Din al-Qassam, late Tuesday claimed responsibility for the West Bank shooting. It was the third militant group to do so: initially, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility for the shooting attack, but reports later surfaced indicating that the organization Fatah al-Intifada also claimed responsibility.

According to Palestinian officials, the Fatah al-Intifada group broke off from Fatah during the 1980's, and is mostly based in Palestinian refugee camps in Syria, making it unlikely that it has a significant presence in the West Bank. 

It is difficult to tell which group the attackers belong to, as they managed to flee the scene, later declaring that they intend to continue their armed struggle. 

Avi Roeh, head of the Mateh Binyamin Regional Council, as well as the Yesha Council, said Tuesday night that "this incident is the latest incident in a slew of severe terror attacks that began with the start of Ramadan. We hope that security forces will draw the necessary conclusions and ensure that things go back to normal. We will not tolerate daily threats here."

On Monday, a female Israeli soldier was seriously wounded in a stabbing at the Rachel Crossing, leading from south Jerusalem to Rachel's Tomb in Bethlehem.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: