Kurdish soldiers delivered humanitarian aid to thousands of Yazidis stranded on top of Mt. Sinjar in northwest Iraq, near the Syrian border. They have been without food or water for days.
- U.S.- Jihadist Clash in Iraq Could Change Perceptions of Israel’s Gaza Campaign
- WATCH: Iraqi MP Pleads Before Parliament to Stop the Slaughter of Her People
- Thousands of Iraq's Yazidis Flee ISIS Militants
- Islamic State Reportedly Captures Hundreds of Yazidi Women
- U.S. Hits Islamic State Targets in Iraq, in First Airstrike Since 2011 Pullout
- Islamist Jihadists Repairing Mosul Dam, Kurds Rush to Arms
- Obama: Iraq Operation Will Be Long-term Project
- Once the Capital of a Proud Jewish Queen, Erbil Could Emerge as Obama’s Stalingrad
- How Israel Can Help the Yazidis of Iraq
- Why the West Intervenes in Iraq but Not Syria
- Germany Sends First Aid Shipment to Northern Iraq
- Displaced Yazidis Find Unlikely Safe Haven in Syria Refugee Camp
Islamic State fighters are currently stationed at the bottom of the mountain, killing whomever tries to escape.
U.S. warplanes bombed Islamist fighters marching on Iraq's Kurdish capital on Friday after President Barack Obama said Washington must act to prevent "genocide."
On Friday, the spokesman for Iraq's human rights ministry said hundreds of women from the religious minority have been taken captive by Islamic State fighters.
An anonymous U.S. official confirmed Islamic State fighters imprisoned Yazidi women so that they can be sold or married off to militants.
Tens of thousands of Yazidis fled Iraq earlier this month after the Islamic State captured the northern Iraqi town of Sinjar.
Last week, a Kurdish Yazidi member of the Iraqi Parliament, Vian Dakheel, made a powerful appeal to the body to combat Islamic State fighters, which captured two major towns of the Yazidi ethnic group, forcing thousands to flee.
"Mr Speaker, we are being butchered under the banner of There is no God but Allah," she said in tears. "Until now 500 Yazidi men and boys have been butchered." Following uproar on the floor, the added, "Mr Speaker, allow me to finish, my family is being butchered."