Victims in Temple Mount Shooting: A New Father and a Son of Former Lawmaker

'Enough bloodshed already. This is an unnecessary war and an unnecessary killing,' says cousin of one of the victims

Slain police officers Kamil Shanan (left) and Hael Sathawi.
Israel Police

The two Israeli police officers killed on Friday morning at the entrance to the Temple Mount complex in Jerusalem have been indentified as Advanced Staff Sgt. Maj. Hael Sathawi, a 30-year-old resident of Maghar, and Advanced Staff Sgt. Maj. Kamil Shanan, a 22-year-old resident of Hurfeish.

Sathawi enlisted in 2012 for permanent service as a patrol officer at the Temple Mount unit following his compulsory service with the Border Police. He got married 11 months ago, and is survived by his wife Erin and a two-week-old son, named Ramos after the Real Madrid player. He was laid to rest on Friday afternoon in Maghar.  

Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said at the funeral that "the despicable and terrible terrorists behind the attack sanctify death. They feed on incitement and hatred, but their way is the losing way. Hael's way, and ours, is winning and will continue to win."

Police Commissioner Roni Alsheich in turn called the attack a "provocation" and said that "no extremist ideology should be allowed to violate the peace in Israeli society. The extremists will be harshly dealt with, as is appropriate for the war on terror."

The funeral of Advanced Staff Sgt. Maj. Hael Sathawi in Maghar. Sathawi was killed in a shooting on Temple Mount in Jerusalem on July 14, 2017.
Gil Eliahu

Sheikh Asaid Sathawi, Hael's his cousin, said that the officer was an exemplary man who loved to help others, and that he hopes the two would be the last victims of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"I hope this conflict ends already," he said. "Enough bloodshed already. This is an unnecessary war and an unnecessary killing. We seek to calm things down, to give each nation its country, to reach a peace agreement and to achieve quiet and a pleasant life for everyone."

Advanced Staff Sgt. Maj. Kamil Shanan joined the police seven months ago as a patrol officer. He was the son of former Knesset Member Shakib Shanan. 

Shanan's funeral took place later Friday in Hurfeish and was attended by thousands. In his eulogy, his father expressed hope his son is the last victim of such an attack.

"I saw the headline and couldn't imagine that I am the father of one of the victims," he said. "He didn't answer his phone, and I knew something terrible happened.

"My prayer to the creator is that this is the last victim, that we exchange the gun for a flower. Rest in peace. In the name of the people of Israel, I hope that you are the last victim."

Two months ago, Shanan's neighbor Naaman Fares was wounded in a stabbing attack carried out by a Jordanian assailant in East Jerusalem.  

The two officers were killed in a shooting attack at the entrance to the Temple Mount complex. Another officer was wounded in the incident. The assailants were shot and killed. Police instructed that the gate to the compound be shuttered and that it be cleared of people.

The police also announced the cancellation of Friday prayers for the first time in many years. Muslim worshipers who arrived at the Lions Gate to enter the Old City or the Temple Mount were turned away by policemen.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the attack in a phone call with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.