U.S. special envoy to the Middle East Jason Greenblatt said on Sunday that President Donald Trump's administration may delay the publication of the long-awaited peace plan to November 2019.
Greenblatt made the remark during an interview with Yaakov Katz, the editor-in-chief of The Jerusalem Post, which was held as part the publication's annual conference.
>> Read more: Jared Kushner's 'paradigm-busting' Mideast peace deal just won't work | Opinion ■ Trump's man in Jerusalem is harming the peace process | Editorial ■ Trump's peace plan offers Palestinians a severance package for the occupation | Analysis
The American envoy also said that he backs remarks by U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman that Israel has a right to annex parts of the West Bank. The statement was made in an interview with the New York Times last week, sparking controversy in Israel and abroad.
Concerning the peace plan, Greenblatt said that Trump's team may have published the blueprint this summer had Israel not announced that it was headed for a new election in September.
He added that there is a limit to how far Arab states will go with Israel, since they don't want to sell out the Palestinians. "We are not going to push any country to go further than they are comfortable," he said.
Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar are expected to join the Trump administration in the June 25-26 Bahrain workshop which will focus on investment in the Palestinian economy.
There will be no Palestinian representation in the event due to the strained relations between the Trump administration and the Palestinian Authority. According to the Palestinians, they reject the event because they are not ready to make political concessions to gain material improvements.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now