Two Police Officers Stabbed in Suspected Terror Attack in Jerusalem

Officers, 20 and 21, evacuated to hospital with light wounds ■ The assailant, a 26-year-old resident of Qalandiyah refugee camp, was shot dead at the scene by security forces

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
The scene of the suspected terror attack, December 13, 2018.
The scene of the suspected terror attack, December 13, 2018. Credit: Israel Police

Two Israeli police officers are wounded after a Palestinian approached and stabbed them in a suspected terror attack in the Old City of Jerusalem early Thursday morning. 

A policewoman, 19, is in moderate condition and has been taken to Hadassah Hospital in Ein Karem while the other policeman, 21, sustained minor wounds to his face and has been taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center. According to reports, the assailant was shot dead at the scene by security forices.

Palestinian reports identify the attacker as Majd Matir, 26, a resident of the Qalandiyah refugee camp near Jerusalem.

According to police, Matir arrived at 5:00 A.M. through the Damascus Gate. He first tried to stab a man at Ha'Gai St., but failed and then charged the two police officers.

The attack comes just hours after two separate operations in the West Bank. The first killed one of the suspects in Sunday's drive-by shooting near an Israeli settlement. While the second killed the Palestinian who carried out the attack at the Barkan industrial area in the West Bank on October 7.

Israeli forces surrounded a house near the Palestinian Authority's headquarters, which is close to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' home, in the search for the drive-by shooter. 

Palestinian reports identified the man killed in the operation as Salah Omar Barghouti, 29, from the village of Kobar. Salah is the son of Omar Barghouti, a senior Hamas member in the West Bank who is known as a veteran prisoner. 

Hamas responded to Thursday morning's events, saying: "The fire of resistance in the West Bank will not die until the occupation is lifted. The death of the two soldiers proves that the option of the Palestinian people is defiance. The West Bank will continue to support the forces of resistance and the blood of Na'alwa and Barghouti has not been spilled in vain. Hamas and the other resistance factions will continue to support activity to avenge their death."

Islamic Jihad released a similar statement, calling on Palestinians to escalate confrontations.

Earlier Wednesday, the baby, who was delivered three days earlier, died after his mother was seriously wounded in the drive-by shooting attack.

On Tuesday, two attempted car-ramming attacks took place in the West Bank, according to the Israeli army.

In the village of Idna near Hebron, a Palestinian driver tried to run over Israeli Border Police and was shot. No one else was injured. The Palestinian Health Ministry in Ramallah said the man, Omar Hassan Awawdeh, 27,  died of his wounds.

In a separate incident, a vehicle tried to ram Israeli security forces in the near the village of Jiftlik in the northern West Bank. The forces responded with gunfire, and arrested the suspect.