This article was originally published on Jewish Insider.
- U.S. Urges Israel Not to Punish Innocent Palestinians for Tel Aviv Attack
- Israelis at Terror Scene, 12 Hours Later: 'We Felt We Had to Be Here'
- Tel Aviv Terror: What We Know So Far About the Sarona Shooting
Presumptive U.S. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump condemned on Thursday “in the strongest possible terms” Wednesday’s terror attack in central Tel Aviv that left four people dead and at least six wounded.
“I condemn, in the strongest possible terms, the outrageous terrorist shootings that took the lives of at least four innocent civilians and wounded at least twenty others in Tel Aviv yesterday,” Trump said in a statement posted on his Facebook page the day after the attack.
“The American people stand strong with the people of Israel, who have suffered far too long from terrorism. Israel’s security is a matter of paramount importance to me and the American people. I express my deepest condolences to the families of the four Israelis who were murdered, as well as my wishes for a speedy recovery to the wounded.”
Trump’s lengthy statement came after Jewish Insider‘s request for comment.
“We understand all too well the unspeakable horror that terrorism unleashes. To address it — and address it we must! — we must recognize the parallel horror of the culture of religious hatred that permeates many Palestinian quarters,” Trump stated.
“From schools that indoctrinate toddlers to grow up to kill Israelis to the daily menu of hate that spews forth from various “news organizations,” change is long overdue in the Palestinian territories. Let us begin the arduous task of creating a future where peace can take root and terror finds no refuge.”
Presumptive U.S. Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton condemned the attack just hours after it happened in a statement sent out to the media.
“I condemn the heinous terrorist attack in Tel Aviv today. I send my deepest condolences to the families of those killed and I will continue to pray for the wounded,” Clinton said. “I stand in solidarity with the Israeli people in the face of these ongoing threats, and in unwavering support of the country’s right to defend itself.”
“Israel’s security must remain non-negotiable,” Clinton added.
Last week, Clinton lambasted Trump’s comments about remaining “neutral” in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, suggesting he is “temperamentally unfit” to serve as president. “It is no small thing when [Donald Trump] says he will stay neutral on Israel’s security,” Clinton said during a national security address in San Diego last Thursday. “Israel’s security is non-negotiable. They are our closest ally in the region, and we have a moral obligation to defend them.”
A recent poll, however, showed that 62 percent of Israelis are sure or think that Trump will be committed to safeguarding Israel’s security if elected as president.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanked world leaders for their statements and support as he visited the Sarona Market, the scene of yesterday’s terrorist attack Thursday evening.
“This people is strong. They will not defeat us,” Netanyahu said in a statement to the press. “I heard and appreciate the sharp and unequivocal condemnations of this abhorrent murder from leading world capitals. I have not heard such a condemnation from the Palestinian Authority. But I did hear shouts of joy in Gaza and in other parts of the Palestinian society in Judea and Samaria. This merely reminds us who and what we are dealing with.”
Sign up for Jewish Insider's curated Daily Kickoff newsletter here.