Suspect Refuses to Take a Lie Detector Test Over Forged Army Document

Defense attorney claims that admissions by Harpaz were made under pressure by police interrogators.

A Petach Tikvah court on Sunday remanded Lieut. Col (Res.) Boaz Harpaz until Wednesday, on suspicion of forging the so-called 'Galant document.'

Boaz Harpaz - Channel 2 - August 25, 2010
Channel 2

During the hearing, Harpaz's lawyer claimed that he did not forge the document, and that the admissions that were procured from him were as a result of pressure applied by interrogators to break his spirit. It was also revealed that during the investigation Harpaz refused to take a lie detector test.

Harpaz admitted on the weekend that he forged the document after he had made several contradictory claims, including that he did not remember from who he received the document, and that the received the document as a fax or in an envelope in a café.

After he admitted to forging the document, Harpaz refused to divulge who he collaborated with, although the police believe that he was aided by others. Since the document contains details that are top secret, investigators are still trying to figure out who helped Harpaz.

As a result, another person that was involved in the leak of the document, other than Gabi Siboni, is being investigated on suspicion of forging the document. The suspect has given testimony to the police and is expected to be interrogated again within days.

Investigators in the case believe that insiders involved in choosing a new Chief of Staff authored the document and added the logo of Arad Communications, in order to torpedo the nomination of Major General Yoav Galant as Chief of Staff, and to harm Defense Minister Ehud Barak.

Police do not believe that Harpaz did not have a clear motive to have authored the document on his own, but that another or others involved in the forgery were motivated to prevent the nomination of Galant, hurt Defense Minister Barak, and extend the term of Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi.

In an unusual move, investigators granted Harpaz permission to meet with his wife Meirav, who also gave testimony to the police last week, after Harpaz had admitted authoring the document. Harpaz's attorney, Yechiel Weinroth, also visited him on Friday morning.

Police spokesperson Rafi Yafeh refused to comment on the incident on Saturday night.