Liga Gimmel Tel Aviv: Inter Aliyah Ends 2019 on Positive Note

Beitar Ezra 1-2 Inter Aliyah A

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Credit: Sam Sank

After what was a terrible month of December, Inter Aliyah ended the calendar year on a positive note, coming from one-nil down at half time against local rivals Beitar Ezra to take all three points with a 2-1 victory. Ezra made a strong start to the season and proved their worth by breaking the deadlock inside 20 minutes, with a through ball splitting the Inter defense, allowing the winger to poke the ball past Tal Amar in the Inter goal. The visitors had plenty of chances to equalize before the break, with the best falling to Oded Puzis, who claimed penalty responsibilities but failed to convert the spot-kick.

In the rainy conditions, Inter manager Eli Mashan urged his team to keep probing, and after an endless amount of chances, the breakthrough finally came when Dandy Okongo blasted home from a corner. After he finally scored, the game looked to end with only one outcome and it was substitute Sebastian Israel who curled in a delightful free-kick with 20 minutes remaining to give Inter their first win of the month.

The three points mean the all-olim team are 9 points adrift of the leaders in Liga Gimmel, with next week’s game marking the halfway point of the season. 

In the International Football League of Israel, Inter Aliyah B had a bad day and arguably one of its most disappointing performances of the season with a collection of fatal errors that led to a 6-2 defeat against FC United.

The game started well with a beautiful run down the left by David Hovav and a dangerous cross saw the opposition put the ball into its own net. The equalizer was a good one: 25 yards out, the United striker found the bottom corner. United’s second goal came shortly before halftime from a simple long ball and break away where the team’s striker ran from the halfway line toward goal and finished well. Within the first three minutes of the second half, United went up 4-1 after exploiting two defensive errors. Just two minutes later, Inter’s hope was restored after a lovely cross by Nick VC found the head of David Schumann, 4-2.

Chances kept coming to Inter, but the team failed to convert any of them. Ten minutes later, inter conceded a penalty after a contested referee call for a 5-2 score. Another mistake just five minutes later at the back resulted in the final score.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: