A West Bank settler who had been arrested on suspicion of throwing stones at Israeli soldiers has been released.
Honenu, a right-wing legal aid organization, said that he had been unjustly arrested since videos and photographs taken on a family trip show he was not in the area of the incident when it occurred.
The episode involved several young people throwing stones at an Israel Defense Forces vehicle close to the Baladim outpost, which is located near the settlement of Kokhav Hashachar in the central West Bank. The 18-year-old, a resident of Beit El, was arrested on Saturday after a videotape of the rock throwing was released online and spread around the internet.
During his interrogation, the suspect claimed that he was on a family excursion at the time of the incident and was not in the area. The Magistrate Court in Jerusalem ordered his release on Saturday, imposing restrictions on his movements. His father was also questioned. The court stated that if the father’s alibi was substantiated, the restrictions on the son’s movements would be lifted. They were removed on Sunday after police failed to provide evidence that would warrant maintaining them.
Police said that the suspicions had not been completely dismissed but the teen's release indicates that their evidence is weak. No other arrests have been made so far, although the police say that they are pending.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now