Palestinian Wounded in Clashes With Israel Dies From His Wounds, Health Ministry Says

Palestinian eyewitnesses reported exchanges of gunfire between soldiers and Palestinians in the village of Burkin, where soldiers were looking for rabbi's killer

A Palestinian protester confronts an Israeli soldier during an army search operation in the Palestinian village of Burqa in the occupied West Bank, on February 3, 2018.

A Palestinian who was wounded in clashes with Israel died of his wounds, Palestinian health services said Saturday.

Earlier, Israeli forces surrounded homes in a village near the West Bank city of Jenin Saturday in search of militants who were involved in the drive-by shooting last month in which Rabbi Raziel Shevach was murdered, Palestinian media outlets and news services reported.

The Israel Defense Forces confirmed activity in the Jenin area.

The Palestinian who was killed was identified as Ahmed Samir Abeed from Jenin. According to Palestinians he was wounded by live fire and sustained a gun wound to the head.

According to the Palestine Red Crescent Society, three Palestinians were injured by rubber-tipped bullets and five Palestinians were treated for the inhalation of tear gas during the clashes.

Palestinian eyewitnesses reported exchanges of gunfire between soldiers and Palestinians in the village of Burkin. According to Palestinian media outlets, army forces surrounded two homes in the community in an effort to capture the members of the militant cell that murdered Shevach near the Havat Gilad outpost. Eyewitnesses reported confrontations between dozens of local residents and soldiers at the scene, and added that it was the second time the IDF entered Burkin Saturday.

Eyewitnesses said the troops included special forces soldiers and sharpshooters as well as bulldozers and arrested a number of people from the village. Earlier Saturday, witnesses said the IDF surrounded a home in al-Kufayr, a different village in the area, and arrested two people.

About two weeks ago Israeli forces raided a home in the Jenin refugee camp, killing Ahmed Nassar Jarrar and arresting two men. The three, as well as a fourth suspect the IDF later said managed to escape, were thought to be involved in Shevach's murder.

One special forces soldier suffered serious injuries in the January operation, while another suffered minor injuries.