Dr. Saeb Erekat, who died Tuesday at the age of 65 after contracting COVID-19, was the top negotiator for the Palestinians for decades.
Erekat wrote for Haaretz for over a decade. A participant in every round of negotiations between the Palestinian and Israeli governments since the tenure of late Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, Erekat's words often riled the Trump regime.
The following opinion column sparked a war of words between the Palestinian negotiator and Trump envoy Jason Greenblatt. Read the exchange here:
Over the years, he was a constant media presence, including on Haaretz, where he penned numerous opinion pieces. He tirelessly argued for a negotiated two-state solution to the decades-old conflict, defended the Palestinian leadership and blamed Israel for the failure to reach an agreement.
Here is a selection of some of his most impactful columns in recent years.
- Erekat's final opinion column for Haaretz: Stop the annexation fanatics. Impose sanctions on Israel
- Today, Palestine launches a real peace process. Not Trump's ignorant, arrogant sham
- Don't label Israeli settlement products. Ban them
- The whole world now witnessed Trump and Netanyahu's racist, annexationist synergy
- Trump's win has emboldened racists in Israel's government
- We will never stop paying Palestinian political prisoners