WASHINGTON – U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that the Trump administration supports Israel in its fight against Hamas and that he hopes a cease-fire between the two parties can be restored soon, as rockets from Gaza pounded Israel and Israel struck targets in Gaza.
Pompeo was asked about the situation during an interview with Fox News and said that it “looks pretty serious,” citing the high number of rockets fired into Israel since Saturday.
>> Read more: Four Israelis killed by barrage of Gaza rockets on southern Israel ■ Two pregnant women among 22 Gazans said killed by Israeli strikes as Israel resumes targeted killings ■ Netanyahu can no longer pacify Gaza with Qatari cash and empty promises | Opinion ■ Gaza flare-up imperils Netanyahu’s cynical policy of cohabitation with Hamas | Chemi Shalev
“The Israelis have every right to defend themselves,” Pompeo added. “I’ve seen video that we can’t validate just yet but where there have been strikes on homes, civilian populations. These rockets were fired with civilians around them in order to protect from return fire. This is terrible.”
Pompeo also added: “I hope that we can return to the ceasefire that had been in place for weeks and had been holding significantly before this.”
The cease-fire he referred to was reached a few weeks before Israel’s April 9 election, and it entailed an Israeli promise to allow Qatar to transfer millions of dollars to Hamas in return for a commitment by Hamas not fire rockets. A large amount of the money was not transferred to Gaza by the Qataris, leading to the current deadly escalation.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now