Palestinian Gunman Shot Dead by Israeli Forces During West Bank Raid

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Israeli security forces raid a village in the West Bank in June 2017 (illustrative).
Israeli security forces raid a village in the West Bank in June 2017 (illustrative).Credit: Nasser Shiyoukhi/AP

A Palestinian man who carried out two shooting attacks over the weekend was killed on Saturday night by Israeli security forces that came to arrest him in the West Bank village of Nabi Saleh, according to the IDF Spokesperson's Unit.

The man, Amer Ahmed Khalil, drew his weapon during the Police Special Anti-Terror Unit's raid and was shot to death by the troops, the army said.

The 34-year-old Khalil shot at a car near the West Bank settlement of Ateret on Saturday morning. The driver was lightly wounded by shrapnel and his car was damaged. Khalil managed to escape the scene by car, and in the evening again opened fire toward a military post in the village of Nabi Saleh, where he lived. No one was wounded in the incident, and he managed to escape the scene.

The shooting attack near the West Bank settlement of Ateret, July 15, 2017.Credit: IDF Spokesperson's Unit

On Saturday night, Police Special Anti-Terror Unit troops arrived in the village to detain him. According to the Border Police, during the attempt to arrest him Khalil drew a self-made weapon and aimed it at the Israeli forces, which then shot and killed him. No Israeli forces were wounded in the incident. Another man who was arrested in the operation was lightly wounded and treated at the scene.

On Friday, two police officers were killed in a shooting attack at the entrance to the Temple Mount complex in Jerusalem. Another officer was moderately wounded. The assailants, Israeli Arabs from the northern town of Umm al-Fahm, were shot and killed. Following the attack, police ordered to shutter the gates to the Temple Mount as well as cancel Friday prayers.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: