Palestinian Claims Responsibility for Stabbing Attack in Facebook Video

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Screenshot from video uploaded on Facebook in which a Palestinian man claims responsibility for stabbing an Israeli in the West Bank on October 6, 2015.Credit: Youtube

A Palestinian man claimed responsibility for a stabbing attack on Friday in the West Bank, identifying himself in a video uploaded to Facebook hours after the attack took place. 

In the attack on Friday afternoon, a 40-year-old was seriously wounded after being stabbed multiple times in his back and chest in the Sha'ar Binyamin Industrial Zone, east of Ramallah in the West Bank. The suspected assailant fled the scene and army forces launched a manhunt.

In the video, the man, who identifies himself as Baraa Kaid Issa, says that he is a member of Fatah's military arm but that he acted on his own.

"In my name and on behalf of the Palestinian people, I, Baraa Kaid Issa, ID number 40630297, have sworn to protect Al-Aqsa and defend our occupied land," the man says. "I have vowed with all the power of my body and mind to perpetrate this attack, with no pressure from anyone."

The video has yet to be authenticated.

The attack on Friday came minutes after a suspected attack against Israeli soldiers was foiled near Hebron when forces shot the driver of a car which the military said attempted run them over.

The alleged car-ramming incident took place in in the southern West Bank in Halhul, north of Hebron, where a stabbing attack took place on Wednesday. According to the army, a female Palestinian attempted to ram her car into a group of soldiers but was shot beforehand. She was evacuated to an Israeli hospital and later died of her wounds. The Palestinian news agency Wafa identified the driver as 72-year-old Sarwat al-Shawari.

Later on Friday, three Israelis were wounded in two shooting attacks in less than two hours in Hebron. In the first attack, a 16-year-old male was moderately wounded and an 18-year-old male was lightly wounded when they were shot at near the Cave of the Patriarchs at 4:45 P.M. The shooter fled the scene, and a manhunt was underway. The shooter apparently opened fire from a distance. The Israeli army believes he may have been a sniper.

Less than two hours later, an Israeli was seriously wounded by gunfire near Beit Anoun.  

Meanwhile, a Palestinian was killed by IDF fire during clashes near the Gaza border fence. According to the IDF, dozens of Palestinians were throwing stones and torching tires in several locations along the border, and troops used tear gas and live fire toward the main instigators.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: