Man Charged With Raping 18-year-old at Notorious Tel Aviv Club

The incident took place two weeks ago at the Allenby 40 club. The charge sheet accuses the suspect of pulling a woman, 18, into a bathroom and sexually assaulting her. He maintains that the sex was consensual.

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Suspect in the Allenby 40 rape trial at Tel Aviv District Court on August 24, 2016.
Suspect in the Allenby 40 rape trial at Tel Aviv District Court on August 24, 2016.Credit: Moti Milrod

A 24-year-old man was indicted in the Tel Aviv District Court on Tuesday on charges of raping and sodomizing an 18-year-old woman at the city’s Allenby 40 night club.

The alleged crime took place two weeks ago. The woman, who was in the club with friends, danced with the accused, Delay Mekata, before being led by him to a corridor near the bathrooms.

Mekata allegedly entered one of the bathroom stalls and signaled to the woman to join him. When she refused he pulled her inside by the arm, and pushed her up against the door.

The woman reportedly turned her head when he tried to kiss her, and when she asked him to stop, he pulled off her clothes, raped and sodomized her, according to the charge sheet.

Yael Harel of the state attorney’s office asked the court to extend Mekata’s arrest for the duration of the trial.  

The Or Yehuda native had been ordered held in custody for five days when he last appeared in court on August 17. Prosecutors also ordered the club shut for three weeks.

The new detention request cites an assessment that the suspect poses a potential risk to other women and mentions an additional sexual assault charge brought against him in 2012.

“The clear similarity between these actions bears witness to the sexual danger he poses, and the inability to put faith in any mechanism other than incarceration to restrain his impulses,” the request says.

Prosecutors also said that Mekata had been questioned twice “and denied that he perpetrated a sex crime against the complainant and that they had gone with her full consent to the bathroom in order to talk.”

Under further questioning he allegedly charged his story, and confirmed having sex with the woman, but maintained it was with her full consent.

Club patrons who saw the woman just after the incident told police that she appeared very upset as she ran out of the bathroom.

The club has been shut since the incident, the second instance of alleged sexual assault there in less than a year. A videotape posted on social media last September showed a woman having sex with several man on the club’s bar counter.

No charges have been filed in that case.  

Click the alert icon to follow topics: