Israeli Woman Hurt in West Bank Stabbing Attack Succumbs to Wounds

21-year-old Hadar Buchris from Safed sustained knife wounds to her upper body; assailant, a 34-year-old Palestinian, was shot dead.

Israeli soldiers stand guard at the scene of a terror attack near the Gush Etzion block of settlements south of Jerusalem in the West Bank, on November 22, 2015. Upper left: Hadar Buchris.

A 21-year-old woman who was seriously wounded in a stabbing attack in the Gush Etzion region in the West Bank on Sunday has died of her wounds.

The victim was identified as Hadar Buchris, from Safed. 

Israeli army soldiers shot and killed the assailant, who the Shin Bet security service identified as 34-year-old Isam Thwabteh from Beit Fajar, a village near Bethlehem. Thwabteh had no previous record of security-related offences.

Buchris was found unconscious near a bus stop at the Gush Etzion junction with knife wounds to her upper body, paramedics said. She arrived in critical condition at Shaare Tzedek Hospital in Jerusalem, where efforts to resuscitate her failed, a hospital official said.

Buchris was a graduate of the Nov Ulpana in the Golan Heights. Her father lives in Safed, and her mother in Netanya. Ayala Eretz Hatzvi, a former teacher, said Buchris spent two years in national service in Moshav Hazorim and Sde Eliyahu after graduation. After a trip in India she moved to Gush Etzion. "She was a lovely and beaming girl," the teacher said. 

Earlier Sunday, an Israeli man was very lightly wounded in a stabbing attack at the Kfar Adumim Junction in the West Bank. The assailant was shot after a failed attempts to run over and stab passersby, the police said.

Hadar Buchris, who was murdered in a stabbing attack in the West Bank on Sunday, November 22 2015.

Earlier still, a Palestinian woman attempted to stab a settler near Hawara, but was run over and shot dead. The former mayor of the Samaria Regional Council, Gershon Mesika, hit the would-be assailant with his car, before soldiers and a civilian shot and killed her.