Palestinians: Israeli Army Kills One, Wounds Three in West Bank Clashes

Witnesses claim 23-year-old Mohammed Edwan posed no risk and was shot 'in cold blood' ■ Security forces arrest 12 suspects, including a senior Hamas official, Palestinians report

FILE PHOTO: A Palestinian protester during clashes with Israeli forces, West Bank, March 30, 2019.

A 23-year-old Palestinian man, Mohammed Edwan, was killed by Israeli security forces during clashes in the Qalandiyah refugee camp near East Jerusalem, the Palestinian Health Ministry said Tuesday morning.

The Ramallah office of the Health Ministry also reported that three others sustained moderate wounds. The Palestinian Red Crescent reported that in clashes following Edwan's funeral, two other people sustained wounds from rubber bullets and taken to a Ramallah hospital. One of them is in serious condition.

The Israel Defense Forces said that while it was conducting arrests in the area "a violent disturbance broke out, during which stones and explosive devices were thrown toward security forces, who responded with live fire."

Mohammed Edwar
Social media

>> Even for the Wild West Bank, this is a shocking story | Gideon Levy ■ Faced with a new wave of West Bank attacks, Israeli army will have to adapt | Analysis

An eye witness in the Qalandiyah camp said that Edwan did not pose a danger to any of the soldiers and that they shot him in cold blood for no reason.

The IDF said that they received a report of one wounded Palestinian and the incident will be investigated.

Meanwhile, the Israeli army arrested a senior Hamas official, Sheikh Hassan Yousef, during a wave of arrests in the West Bank overnight Monday, according to Palestinian reports.

The IDF spokesperson said that Israeli security forces, including the IDF, Shin Bet, Border police and Israel police, arrested 12 people suspected of involvement in terror activities, nationalistic terror, and violent disturbances.

The suspects were turned over to the Shin Bet for questioning.

During IDF and police scans, illegal weapons were found in the town of Beit Ummar north of Hebron, the IDF spokesperson said. Security forces confiscated locally manufactured Carlo type submachine guns. The weapons were transferred to Israeli security forces.