Israeli Policeman Stabbed Near Temple Mount, Assailants Shot by Security Forces

Policeman lightly-to-moderately wounded in upper body, evacuated to the hospital while conscious

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Paramedics evacuating a man wounded in a stabbing in the Old City in Jerusalem, August 15, 2019
Paramedics evacuating a man wounded in a stabbing in the Old City in Jerusalem, August 15, 2019Credit: Olivier Fitoussi

Two Palestinian assailants, both minors, stabbed a policeman near the Temple Mount in Jerusalem's Old City on Thursday, wounding him moderately before being shot by security forces, police said. One of the two suspects, 17-year-old Nassim Abu Rumi, was killed. The other, 14-year-old Hamoudeh Al-Sheikh, was critically wounded. 

Authorities said the policeman, 40, was stabbed during operational activity. Other policemen who were present at the scene shot at the two suspected assailants. 

Rescue services organization United Hatzalah said that the man was stabbed in his upper body and was evacuated to receive medical attention.

Footage of the incident showed the suspects holding knives and suddenly stabbing the victim. Police officers at the scene pulled out their guns and shot at the suspects several times. Police temporarily shut the gates to the Temple Mount following the incident. 

A security guard employed by the Waqf - the Muslim religious trust - was also lightly wounded in the incident. According to Palestinian sources, the guard, Imran Rajabi, was not involved in the stabbing.

On Sunday, security forces clashed with Palestinians marking the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha at the Temple Mount compound. Four police officers and 61 Palestinians were wounded int he clashes. Police initially didn't allow Jewish worshipers to enter the site to pray on the holy day of Tu B'av, which coincided with Eid al-Adha this year. After the clashes subsided, a few hundred Jews were allowed in.

Last Thursday, soldier Dvir Sorek was stabbed to death near the settlement of Migdal Oz in the West Bank. Two days later, security forces arrested two suspects from a town in the Hebron area.