Israeli Officer Wounded in Car-ramming Attack Succumbs to Wounds

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
The scene of the attack at Halhul Junction, November 4, 2015.Credit: AP

A 20-year-old border policeman died on Sunday of wounds suffered in Wednesday's car-ramming. Meanwhile, six Israelis were wounded Sunday in three separate West Bank terror attacks.

Wednesday’s attack took place at Halhul Junction in the West Bank, when a Palestinian motorist swerved suddenly toward a group of Israelis standing at the intersection. The victim, Binyamin Yakobowitz, suffered multisystem trauma and was rushed to a Jerusalem hospital.

Binyamin Yakobowitz.Credit: Israel Police Spokesman

The assailant, a Palestinian resident of Hebron, was shot and killed. He was identified as Ibrahim Saqafi, 23.

In the first attack on Sunday, which took place at about 9:30 A.M., four Israelis were wounded when a Palestinian rammed his car into them as they waited at a hitchhiking post at Tapuach Junction.

Two of them, both men in their 20s, suffered moderate to serious wounds but were fully conscious when they were evacuated by helicopter to Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva. Another was moderately wounded and the fourth was lightly wounded.

The assailant was shot and killed by border policemen guarding the intersection, which was then closed to traffic.

Aviel Mamalia, a medic with the Magen David Adom ambulance service who helped treat the wounded, said that when he arrived “we saw three young men in their 20s lying on the sidewalk, fully conscious, suffering from wounds to their lower bodies.” 

Though their injuries were defined as moderate to serious, “they were in stable condition and communicated with us all the way to the helicopter,” he said.

The fourth victim was a 26-year-old pregnant woman who was knocked down and suffered light injuries to her stomach, Mamalia said. She too was taken to the hospital.

At about 11 A.M., a gate guard at the entrance to the settlement of Betar Ilit was lightly wounded when a Palestinian woman whose ID he was checking suddenly stabbed him. The guard shot her, and she was evacuated to Jerusalem’s Hadassah University Hospital with serious wounds. The guard was treated on the spot when medics arrived.

In the third attack, which took place at about 1:30 P.M., a man of about 50 was seriously wounded in the West Bank village of Nabi Elias, not far from the settlement of Alfei Menashe. The man managed to drive himself to the nearby Eliyahu crossing, from which he was taken to Meir Hospital in Kfar Sava.

According to an initial investigation, the man was shopping in Nabi Elias when two assailants jumped him, stabbed him in the stomach and fled.

Barak Hevroni, a Magen David Adom medic who treated him, said the man was fully conscious but had suffered a serious stab wound to his upper body. After being given first aid, the man was taken to the hospital for further treatment.

Sunday's spate of attacks comes hard on the heels of three attacks that wounded four Israelis in the West Bank on Friday, including two shootings in the Hebron area.

Also on Sunday, a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip exploded in an open area near the border last night. No damage or casualties were reported.

The explosion was preceded by rocket sirens in Sha’ar Hanegev and Sdot Negev Regional Councils.

This was the sixth time rockets or mortar shells have been fired from Gaza at Israel since the ongoing terror wave started in October.

The most recent incident was two weeks ago, when a rocket was fired at Sha’ar Hanegev. The attack was followed by Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip.