The Israeli army announced Thursday that it would disconnect all private smarphone apps that had previously been given access to data about rocket and mortar attacks from the Gaza Strip, fearing those apps could spread misleading information and false alerts.
There are multiple private applications that use the data the Israel Defense Force's Home Front Command in order to alert residents to the warning sirens that blare ahead of incoming missiles and rockets from Gaza during periods of conflict. However, the military says that due to technical glitches, the information they spread often arrives late and sometimes sends false alerts.
The IDF said that the decision to disconnect the apps came after citizens complained that the false alerts were creating confusion among users. The military recommends using the Home Front Command's official app, which it says delivers reliable, real-time alerts to users.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now