Israeli police raided East Jerusalem early Monday following a deadly terror attack in which four people were killed when a resident of the Palestinian neighborhood plowed his truck into the Armon Hanatziv Promenade on Sunday.
- Don't Blame Soldiers Fleeing Jerusalem Truck Attack on Hebron Shooter's Verdict
- Jerusalem Attack Victims Laid to Rest - Including dual-American Citizen
- Why the Latest Palestinian Attacker in Jerusalem Was Not Deterred
- Jerusalem Attack: 4 Soldiers Killed After Truck Rams Into Pedestrians
Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said that five of the attacker's relatives were among those detained. They were all from the Jabel Mukaber neighborhood of East Jerusalem. Police also barred the assailant's family from putting up a traditional Muslim mourning tent to receive visitors paying condolence calls.
Police used concrete slabs on Monday to block entrances to the neighborhood, and a police officer checked each car driven out of the area. Overnight, police say, Palestinians attacked troops at a police outpost with rocks and fireworks.
Police also fanned out in Issawiyeh, another East Jerusalem neighborhood, where local activists said at least nine Palestinians were arrested around dawn.
Meanwhile, the victims of Sunday's attack were being laid to rest on Monday. Five of the injured, all soldiers, were still being treated in hospital. One was listed in critical condition and on life support and another was serious but stable. The remaining two were in moderate condition. Two other soldiers were lightly wounded and not hospitalized.
The army denied reports that some 300 army cadets had fled the scene rather than engage the assailant, due to a guilty manslaughter verdict handed down last week against a soldier who shot to death a wounded Palestinian assailant in Hebron last year.
An initial IDF investigation has found that cadets who ran for cover were heeding orders issued by a commander after the truck driver had already been shot.