Israeli Father Who Rescued Children From Burning Building in Serious Condition

12 others suffer burns and smoke inhalation from Haifa fire apparently caused by electric short circuit

Rescue services put out a fire in an apartment building in Haifa, Israel, April 15, 2019.
Rami Shllush

An Israeli man is in serious condition after rescuing his children from the family's apartment, where a fire broke out on Monday morning. 

The fire in the apartment building, situated in the northern Israeli city of Haifa, was apparently caused by an electric short circuit. 

To really understand Israel - subscribe to Haaretz

The man has been hospitalized. The children's mother and another woman in her thirties are all in moderate condition. A third woman, also a resident of the building, is in light condition; so is her daughter and six other children. 

Medical emergency responders who evacuated those injured said that they suffered burns and smoke inhalation. 

The fire broke out on the second story of a four-story building on Ibn Gabirol Street in the coastal city. Some residents were evacuated, but firefighters who rushed to the scene managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the rest of the building.