The Israeli army demolished the apartment overnight Thursday of Alaa Kabha, a Palestinian who killed two soldiers in a car-ramming attack near the northern West Bank settlement of Reihan in March. The demolished apartment was a unit in an apartment buidling in the West Bank village of Barta'a.
Kabha, 27, rammed into a group of Home Front Command soldiers guarding a pillbox position, killing the two soldiers, Capt. Ziv Daus and Sgt. Netanel Kahalani, and injuring two others. Kabha, who was injured himself in the attack, had been released from prison in April of last year after serving a 17-month sentence following his conviction on security offenses.
The Islamist Hamas movement issued a statement in praise of Kabha's attack, saying that it was committed to mark 100 days since the announcement by U.S. President Donald Trump of American recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital and the decision to transfer the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv. Following the attack, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promised that he would work to have Kabha's home demolished and to bring him to justice.
Sgt. Kahalani's father told Haaretz that demolishing Kabha's home would not solve the problem of terrorist attacks. "Demolishing homes will not help. When it is decided to impose the death penalty, it will stop. They should throw their families into the sea. It will continue and won't stop and a lot more people will be crying over their children," the sergeant's father said. Following the attack, the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories announced the suspension of Israeli work and commercial permits for relatives of the assailant.
In other developments overnight, the Israeli army, the Shin Bet security service and the Border Police announced that they had arrested 17 Palestinians in the West Bank on suspicion of involvement in terrorist activity and disturbances of the peace. The suspects were due to be questioned.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now