Israeli police have opened new proceedings against the Israeli-American teenage dubbed the “hacker from Ashkelon” for allegedly calling in threats to schools in central Israel – from prison.
The teenager, 19, who is in an Israeli prison awaiting trial on earlier charges, called schools in Kfar Saba and Tel Aviv on Sunday and told them he had planted bombs there. He is also suspected of calling a hotel on Sunday and telling them a bomb had been placed there too.
The schools were evacuated and searched thoroughly. Nothing untoward was found.
The teen, whose name is barred from publication by Israeli law because of his age, was charged with making thousands of threats, including to airports, schools and Jewish centers, in the United States in 2016 and early 2017. His hoax threats to the Jewish community centers forced widespread evacuations and stirred fear of a resurgence in anti-Semitism.
On Monday, the Rishon Letzion court extended his detention by four days. His trial in Israel, on a list of charges, starts next week.
- Hackers threaten cyber attack against Israel; Mossad, IDF websites down
- New details emerge about JCC bomb hoax suspect's elaborate online threat-making service
- Israeli-American hacker allegedly behind U.S. bomb threats attempts to escape police custody
The teen’s parents have said he has a brain tumor that caused autism and other mental problems, making him unable to understand the nature of his actions.