Former Israeli President Peres’ Condition 'Grave but Stable,' Bureau Says

Doctors to decide on further treatment for the 93-year-old statesman, less than week after he suffered a massive stroke; President Rivlin visits hospital: 'I hope to see him recover.'

Shimon Peres.

The condition of former president Shimon Peres remains unchanged, and is grave but stable, according to a joint statement issued Saturday by his bureau and the Sheba Medical Center at Tel HaShomer, less than a week after he suffered a major stroke.

Doctors will continue to administer comprehensive care, and a further assessment will be undertaken Sunday morning, including a CT scan. Based on the results, doctors will decide on their course of action.

On Saturday evening President Reuven Rivlin visited former president Shimon Peres and his family at the hospital.

President Reuven Rivlin with Prof. Yitzhak Kreiss at Shiba Hospital Tel Hashomer where former Shimon Peres is hospitalized. September 17, 2016
Moti Milrod

On his arrival at the hospital President Rivlin told reporters, "Shimon Peres is a hero in Israel and for many other people all around the world, and we really appreciate very much the concern of leaders and people around the world who have sent wishes for the swift recovery of Israel's ninth president.

"I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to the Tel HaShomer Hospital for all they are doing for Shimon, and for all those they are treating here."

He added, "Here, together with all the people, we pray for an improvement in Shimon's condition and send our support to his family and the medical staff. There's no greater fighter than Shimon Peres - if it depends on him, he will win."

Last Tuesday Peres had a massive stroke while in hospital for a checkup. He was hospitalized and an initial scan showed that a blood clot which had caused a brain hemorrhage. A second scan revealed massive bleeding which could cause irreversible damage. Later that night, the chief neurologist for the hospital's stroke unit, Prof. David Orion, said that the bleeding had stopped. After midnight his bureau said that there was no indication that surgery was required. Prof. Orion said that the damage was to the right hemisphere, and thus to the left part of his body.

On Wednesday there was some improvement in Peres’ condition. Prof. Yitshak Kreiss, the director of the Sheba Medical center, said that “despite his grave situation his condition is stable, with some improvement. He’s a bit more awake and we believe his neurological condition is slightly better. We’ll continue to monitor him over the next 24 hours.”

Rafi Walden, Peres’ son-in-law and personal physician, said that “I’m pleased to say that he responded positively to me, understood what I said and warmly pressed my hand. We intend to keep him anaesthetized so that he doesn’t need to make an effort while breathing.”

At the end of last January, Peres was hospitalized with a slightly irregular heartbeat. Ten days prior to that, he had a cardiac event which was described as a light heart attack. He subsequently underwent a successful catheterization and has had a pacemaker installed.