Following Tel Aviv Attack, Israel Suspends All Permits Given to Palestinians for Ramadan

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Policemen operate at the site of a terror attack at Sarona Market in Tel Aviv on Wednesday, June 8, 2016.
Policemen operate at the site of a terror attack at Sarona Market in Tel Aviv on Wednesday, June 8, 2016.Credit: Moti Milrod

All permits given to Palestinians for Ramadan have been suspended following the Tel Aviv terror attack, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman and IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Gadi Eisenkot said overnight on Thursday.

These include some 83,000 permits, most of them to visit family in Israel. Permits for Gaza residents to pray at the Temple Mount in Jerusalem have also been suspended.

Netanyahu, Lieberman and Eisenkot held security consultations at the Kirya military headquarters in Tel Aviv a short while after the prime minister returned from a visit to Moscow. At 12:30 P.M., Netanyahu will convene the security-diplomatic cabinet at the Kirya to discuss possible further steps in response to the terror attack.

Maj. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, the coordinator of government activities in the territories, ordered overnight on Thursday to suspend 204 permits of the perpetrators' families.

On Wednesday night, Netanyahu arrived at the scene of the attack at the Sarona Market in Tel Aviv, accompanied by Lieberman and Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan. The three were briefed by the Tel Aviv district police chief.

"There was a very difficult event here, of cold-blooded murder by heinous terrorists," Netanyahu said. "We held a discussion on a string of offensive and defensive measures that we will take to act against this phenomenon, the grave phenomenon of shooting. It is definitely challenging us and we will respond to it."

"There will be firm action by other security elements, not only to locate anyone who cooperated with this murder, but also to prevent further actions. We will act firmly and intelligently," the prime minister said.  

Four people were killed in the attack and more were wounded. On Thursday morning, it was reported that four victims and the perpetrator of the attack were hospitalized in moderate condition at Ichilov Hospital's intensive care units. Another two women who were lightly wounded have been released from hospital.

According to Palestinian reports, the IDF surrounded the South Hebron Hills town of Yatta – the hometown of the assailants – and has declared the area a closed military zone. The military is expected to carry out arrests and interrogate the perpetrators' families.