The Central Elections Committee rejected on Friday Likud’s claims that it was “intentionally” holding back information on vote count after Israel’s election on Monday, which did not hand any of the two candidates for prime minister, Likud’s Benjamin Netanyahu and Kahol Lavan’s Benny Gantz, a clear victory.
The committee “outright rejects the recurring attempts by representatives of Likud party to question committee officials’ professional work and undermine its integrity,” it said in a statement, hours after the party put out a statement blasting the committee for not handing over minutes of the committee’s work and vote tally records.
Bibi limps to election 'victory.' But he didn't win
By Friday, according to the committee’s statement, it handed over to Likud officials “almost 90 percent of the requested material. After Shabbat ends, dozens of committee employees will report to finish preparing the material, so that it may be handed over on Sunday morning.” It also said that copies of the documents Likud is now seeking were available to the party’s representatives in polling stations on Election Day on Monday.
Likud said in its Friday morning statement that it was “getting odd and completely unacceptable excuses” for not yet receiving the material in full, adding the party intends to file a petition with the High Court of Justice to “ensure any errors in the vote count are corrected” before the election results are officially published.
The election committee has until Tuesday to publish the final results of Israel’s third election round in a year. Results published so far put Netanyahu’s right-wing bloc at 58 out of 120 Knesset seats, only three seats shy of a clear majority.