Store the hamantaschen in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Makes 35-40 pastries
For the pastry
2 1/4 cups flour, plus more for the work surface
1/2 cup sugar
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
For the filling
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 lb. bittersweet chocolate 60%
2 tablespoons whiskey
1/4 cup cookie crumbs
1. For the pastry: Lightly flour a work surface.
2. Combine the sugar, the 2 1/4 cups of flour and the butter in a food processor. Pulse to create crumbs. Add the egg and the yolk; pulse just until the dough begins to clump together. Turn the dough out onto the floured work surface; knead and gather into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling: Heat the heavy cream and butter just until boiling point, pour over the chocolate, let stand for a minute and mix until you get a smooth mixture. Mix in the whiskey and cookie crumbs and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, until the chocolate mixture is cool and firm.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 1 or 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Have a 2 3/4 to 3-inch cookie cutter or a drinking glass with a 3-inch opening at hand.Divide the dough in half; refrigerate the half you are not immediately using. Roll out the first half-portion of dough on the floured surface as thin as possible (as thin as 1/16 inch, if you can). Dip the cookie cutter or glass rim into flour and cut out circles of dough. Reroll the dough as needed.
5. Use a teaspoon to mound a small amount of the filling in the center of each circle.
Lift and pinch the edges of each circle in 3 places spaced evenly apart, to create a triangle; the filling will be partially exposed in the center. Arrange on the baking sheet, spacing them an inch apart. Bake one sheet at a time for 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden on the edges.
6. Transfer the pastries to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat to use all of the dough; If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now