If you can get candied orange peel for this quick sweet pastry, use it. Candied orange peels are available in many Middle Eastern stores.
- When life hands you fruit and nuts, make a Tu Bishvat Seder
- Modern Manna recipe / Walnut and dried cherry tabouleh
Orange zest will do a fine job as well.
Serve warm with ice cream on top.
Makes 2 7 braids
1/2 lb finely almond flour, or finely ground almonds
4 1/2 oz. granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel (or grated zest of one orange)
2 sheets of puff pastry, 1.1 lb., thawed in the fridge over night.
1 tablespoon coarse sugar
1. Put the almond flour, granulated sugar, fennel seeds, egg and one of the yolks in the food processor and run until it forms a dough.
2. Transfer into a bowl and knead the orange peel in.
3. Turn the oven to 375 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Spoon the almond filling lengthwise down the center of the pastry. Cut slits 1 inch apart from the 2 sides of the pastry rectangle to within 1/2 inch of the almond filling. Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the almond mixture, alternating sides, to cover the almond filling.
5. Mix the second egg yolk with a tablespoon of water. Brush the pastry with the egg yolk mixture. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Place the pastry onto the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minute, until the braid is puffed and the top is golden. Serve warm with ice cream on the side.