Backstreet Boys, Paul Anka Bow Out of Concerts, Citing Security Concerns

Both acts pledge to reschedule ASAP; they follow Neil Young, America and others in canceling out due to Gazan rocket threat.

Reuters

The Backstreet Boys have followed Paul Anka, Neil Young and other performers in canceling their concerts in Israel due to the security situation, according to Sunday's Hollywood Reporter.

The American pop vocal group was due to perform three concerts in the Ra'anana Amphitheater on July 29, 30 and 31. "We're already working with the producers on new dates during spring 2015 and will notify everyone about this as soon as possible," the Backstreet Boys said in a statement.

Over the weekend, Anka, a favorite with older Israelis, canceled his scheduled July 24 and 26 concert dates at Tel Aviv's Nokia Arena, but, like the Backstreet Boys, said he would return after the fighting subsided. "Mr. Anka assures you that once the local situation is resolved, he will be there with the latest version of his fantastic performance," his representatives said.

These cancellations follow those of Neil Young and Crazy Horse, who were to perform last week in Tel Aviv's Hayarkon Park. Previously the folk-rock band America and jazz musicians Chick Core and Stanley Clarke bowed out of their scheduled concerts due to the rockets from Gaza that have been falling in Israel for the last two weeks alongside the Israeli missiles falling in Gaza.

Among the foreign musicians playing wait-and-see at this point are the thrash metal band Megadeth, due in on August 6, Lana Del Rey and Cee Lo Green, scheduled for late August, and Lady Gaga, slated to perform in mid-September.