A construction worker was killed and another seriously injured after they inhaled poisonous fumes on the job at the building site in Haifa’s new port.
The two were working on the sewage system and apparently fell into a drainage pit after breathing the poisonous fumes. Both were evacuated to Haifa’s Rambam Medical Center, and one, a 65-year-old resident of Abu Snan, was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival. The other, a 38-year-old resident of Nesher, was in serious condition.
Police have opened an investigation into the incident together with investigators from the Economy and Industry Ministry.
Ashtrom and Shapir, the companies building the new port, issued a joint statement saying they “greatly regret this tragic incident.” The workers, the statement added, were engaged in “routine maintenance of the port’s sewage system, which isn’t part of the port construction project. As is usual in such cases, the circumstances of the incident are being looked into by the relevant parties. We offer our condolences to the family of the deceased and are with the family of the injured to help them with anything they need.”
The Israel Port Company, which is responsible for the port, said it has only preliminary information about the incident, but is investigating together with the authorized agencies.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now