The High Court of Justice on Monday rejected a request by Ashdod Port's suspended union boss, Alon Hassan, to allow trucks belonging to his private company to continue doing business in the port until a final ruling is issued.
- Yacimovich vs. Hassan: Hopefully, a Twist in the Plot
- Israel's Port Workers Afraid to Stop Using Services of Union Boss' Firms
Though the ruling didn't officially deal with the substance of the case, Justice Salim Joubran said it appeared to him that "the balance of power in the current case tends to favor Ashdod Port."
Joubran's ruling came a week after Hassan and his company, Bin-Iden Trucking, petitioned the court to reverse a decision by the port's board of directors barring its vehicles from entering the port.
Hassan claimed the decision was taken to appease media furor and that it violated the company's "basic right to freedom of occupation."
His business activities were the subject of a stinging Channel 2 television expose last month that led to him taking a leave of absence and to the port barring his company from doing business with it.
In his decision, Joubran said that if Hassan's petition to restore his company's license to operate on port property is ultimately granted, then the company will be entitled to compensation for any losses it sustained. But if the petition is rejected, "this would mean that [in the meantime] a private company would be operating inside a public entity in a state of conflict of interest, an inappropriate act that would undermine public confidence."