There are 10 Israelis on the list of the world’s richest people, according to the Chinese publication Hurun Report, which released its Hurun Global Rich List 2014 on Tuesday. The list, now in its third year, includes 1,867 people, including 481 Americans and 358 Chinese billionaires.
- The richest Israelis got NIS 10 billion richer in 2013
- U.S. casino magnate Sheldon Adelson makes Forbes' top 10 billionaires list
- Let’s make a deal, Shari
- Israeli tycoon gambles on London's Camden Market
- Guinea panel urges stripping Steinmetz of iron-ore licenses
- Wertheimers selling stake in Blades Technology to Pratt & Whitney
- Israeli tycoon Wertheimer sees bright future for aircraft-engine business
- Russians, Indians, Jews at top of U.K. rich list
- Sheldon Adelson discovers the limits of his power - in Israel
- The growing power of Israel's richest people
- For the love of money: The day Zuckerberg earned $1.2 billion
- Israeli billionaire's firm finds reported 3 billion barrels of oil in Congo
- Cyberark, Israel Chemicals enjoy happy new year on Wall Street
- Israel’s 100 most influential: A force for no change at all
- The Ticker / Sagi to float Camden Market
- How is one of Israel's wealthiest men voting in the election?
The top Israeli on the list was #206 Eyal Ofer, whose net worth increased 31% to $6.7 billion, followed by his brother Idan Ofer, whose net worth dropped 4% in 2013 to $5.4 billion. Ofer inherited his wealth from his father, shipping magnate Sammy Ofer.
Third is Beny Steinmetz, with a net worth of $5.3 billion, and whose business ventures include diamonds and real estate. Then comes Stef Wertheimer and the Wertheimer family, with $4.6 billion; Shari Arison, with $4.3 billion; Hollywood producer and businessman Arnon Milchan, with $4 billion; Delek Group owner Yitzhak Tshuva, with $3.3 billion; high-tech entrepreneur Teddy Sagi, with $2.1 billion; diamond and mining magnate Dan Gertler, with $2.1 billion; Check Point Software founder Gil Shwed, with $1.7 billion; and Amdocs investor Morris Kahn, with $1.1 billion.
American gambling magnate Sheldon Adelson, who owns the Israel Hayom newspaper, is number No. 8 on the list with a net worth of $36.5 billion – 59% more than his net worth last year. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is ranked No. 18, after his net worth gained 82% thanks to market gains made by Facebook’s stock.
Topping the list was Bill Gates with $68 billion.
The average age of the billionaires on the list is 62. The list includes 178 women, slightly under 10% of the total, including 18 female Chinese billionaires. There are 41 more Chinese billionaires than there were on last year’s list, most of them real estate entrepreneurs.
The richest Chinese citizen on the list is Li Ka-shing, who is based in Hong Kong, with $33 billion. Ka-shing invested in Israeli startup Waze in 2011, and made a $130 million donation to the Technion in Haifa last year.