Mohamed Abrini, the Brussels terror attack suspect dubbed "the man in the hat" due to closed circuit television footage from last month's bombing, has told a Belgian judge that the bomb plot included plans to target boarding areas of flights to Tel Aviv, the United States and Russia. The admission was reported by France's BFM TV.
Abrini reportedly told the judge the plot did not go according to plan and after the two explosions at the airport, he fled, but not before throwing an explosives belt into a trash can and getting rid of his hat. He is also said to have told the judge he "would not have hurt a fly."
Abrini, a Belgian of Moroccan origin who was arrested on Friday, is said to have denied sharing his fellow plotters' radical ideas, adding that he had never visited Syria. Belgian prosecutors say, however, that he visited Syria in 2013, according to BFM TV.
Residents of a number of European countries have reportedly been radicalized after joining the ranks of the Islamic State, the group also known as ISIS.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now