Barak Plans to Sue Daily Mail for Implying He Socialized With Young Women at Epstein's Home

The newspaper published a photo of the former PM entering convicted sex offender's home in 2016 with his face concealed alongside pictures of four women whom it said also entered the house that day ■ Barak: I reject these 'loathsome' insinuations

Ehud Barak's picture published by the Daily Mail in which he is seen entering Jeffrey Epstein’s New York home with his face concealed.

Former Prime Minister Ehud Barak announced on Tuesday that he intends to sue the Daily Mail for libel after the British newspaper published a paparazzi photo of him entering convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s New York home in January of 2016. The picture showed Barak with his coat collar turned up in what the paper deemed an attempt to conceal his face.

Alongside Barak’s photo, the article featured pictures of four women whom it said entered the house that day, although apparently at different times. The article offers no evidence that Barak ever encountered these women while he was at Epstein's house, but it implies that the photos raise questions about his claim over the past few days that he “never met Epstein in the company of women or young girls.”

Barak is currently running for Knesset as the head of his newly-established Democratic Israel party.

>> Read more: Revealed: Jeffrey Epstein entered partnership worth millions with Ehud Barak in 2015 ■ With Ehud Barak you get greed but nothing about the occupation | Opinion ■ Netanyahu dirties up Ehud Barak over Jeffrey Epstein scandal so he looks cleaner | Analysis  

“These pictures obtained exclusively by DailyMail.com show Ehud Barak … trying to hide his face as he entered the convicted pedophile’s Manhattan townhouse,” reporter Martin Gould wrote. “A bevy of young women were also seen going into the multi-millionaire's lavish seven-story home on the same day that Ehud Barak was snapped.” The report also noted that Barak is married.

Democratic Israel issued release a statement on Tuesday saying “Barak disgustedly rejects the loathsome insinuations in this article. Neither the report nor the insinuations have any basis. They are a complete lie, aside from the fact that Barak admits it’s very cold in New York in January.

“The Daily Mail has published several false articles of this type in the past about Barak as well as other people. Other journalists who have looked into these reports haven’t found any evidence for these lies," the statement read.

Last week Haaretz's Gidi Weitz revealed that the registered sex offender partnered with Barak to invest in his startup.

In 2015 Barak set up a limited partnership, in which he is the sole shareholder. That company invested in Reporty Homeland Security, established in 2014, becoming a major shareholder. Last year Reporty changed its name to Carbyne. The company develops call-handling and identification capabilities for emergency response services.  

Barak is the chairman of Carbyne and according to reports by business media outlets, his personal investment in the company totals millions of dollars in it. Haaretz has learned that Epstein financed a considerable part of the investment, thus becoming a partner in the project.