Three Months After U.K. Woman's Death in Eilat, Autopsy Still Not Concluded

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
A photo of the Dolphin Cafe Bar Hostel in Eilat, Israel, captured by Google Street View in January 2012.
A photo of the Dolphin Cafe Bar Hostel in Eilat, Israel, captured by Google Street View in January 2012.Credit: Google Maps/Google Earth

The family of a British woman who died in suspicious circumstances in Eilat over three months ago is still waiting for Israel to complete the autopsy on her body, according to the Daily Telegraph website.

Julie Pearson, 38, from Kinross in Scotland, was found unconscious on the floor of the Dolphin guesthouse in Eilat on November 27 last year.

A police investigation into her death is reportedly at a standstill as investigators wait for the state forensic facility at Abu Kabir to conduct the autopsy and provide them with the results.

At this stage, police are unable to conclude whether Pearson was murdered, overdosed on drugs or died of some other cause.

Both police and Pearson's friends said she had been in an abusive, on-off relationship with a Palestinian man. A police report said that she had been beaten by her former partner the night before she died.

"We're still waiting in agony," said Deborah Pearson, the dead woman's aunt, who travelled to Eilat this week hoping to get answers from the police but came away empty-handed.

Israel Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said: "We're still waiting for the final autopsy and the investigation will move swiftly once it is completed.

Police have not ruled out the possibility that Pearson was murdered, he said. "There is still a question of whether this lady died because of drugs and alcohol, was she ill or had a medical record, or was it possibly a homicide," he said.

The Telegraph said that the Israeli Health Ministry did not respond to a request for comment on why the autopsy was taking so long to complete.

Click the alert icon to follow topics: