Israeli Army Hands Demolition Notice to Family of Palestinian Who Killed Two Israeli Co-workers

Family of Ashraf Walid Saliman Na'alwa, who killed two co-workers in the Barkan industrial zone, has until Thursday to appeal the demolition

Yaniv Kubovich
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Demolition order for Na'alwa home
Demolition order for Na'alwa homeCredit: IDF Spokesman
Yaniv Kubovich

The home of a Palestinian terrorist who killed two Israeli co-workers in the West Bank industrial zone of Barkan last week will be demolished, the Israeli army told his family on Sunday night. The family has until Thursday to appeal the decision.

Ashraf Walid Saliman Na'alwa, 23, fatally shot Ziv Hajbi, 35, and Kim Yehezkel-Levengrond, 29, at the plant where they worked together in Barkan, and wounded another woman, 54, after which he fled.

Israeli security forces have been searching for him ever since the attack.

Immediately following the attack, Israeli forces swept over Na'alwa's home  home village of Shuwaykah, raiding his home, questioning his family and detaining suspected abettors. Na'alwa's older brother was among the arrests, and village sources say a sister was arrested as well.

Before the shooting, Na'alwa gave a note to another employee at the Barkan plant, disclosing his plan to commit suicide and praising Yasser Arafat, the Palestinian leader who died in November 2004. The letter helped convince police that he intended to commit terrorism.

On Sunday night Israeli forces detained 22 Palestinians in the West Bank for suspected terrorist activity and violent disruptions of order.

U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said on Sunday that a deadly terror attack that killed two Israelis at an industrial area in the West Bank shattered the harmony of Israeli-Palestinian coexistence there.

Ashraf Walid Saliman Na'alwa
Ashraf Walid Saliman Na'alwa

Na'alwa had been employed at a trash recycling plant in the Barkan industrial zone. Other employees at the plant said he had worked there for about four months, but they didn't have a chance to really know him. He had missed two weeks of work prior to the killings, saying he was sick, they said.

Yehezkel-Levengrond was buried on the day of the attack. Hundreds of people attended her funeral in Rosh HaAyin. Ziv Hajbi was buried the next day in the moshav of Nir Israel.