The office of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas issued on Thursday a condemnation of the terror attack in Tel Aviv that left four Israelis dead and more wounded.
- Four victims of Tel Aviv shooting attack identified
- Tel Aviv terror: What we know so far about the Sarona shooting
- Tel Aviv shooting: A planned, ambitious terror attack
A statement issued by Abbas' office said he rejects "all operations that target civilians regardless of the source and their justification."
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini also condemned Wednesday's attack at the Sarona marketplace complex, saying that those responsible for it must be brought to justice. Hamas, on the other hand, was quick to laud the attack.
According to the Palestinian Authority announcement, the office has expressed its position numerous times and reiterated its opposition to all actions that involve harm to civilians regardless of the circumstances. The announcement stated that obtaining a just peace and creating a positive atmosphere contributes to the reduction and removal of reasons for tension and violence in the region. It added that achieving peace obliges everyone to stop actions that are liable to exacerbate tension and violence.
Mogherini said: "Wednesday night's terror attack in the Sarona complex in Tel Aviv exposed scores of innocent civilians and families to indiscriminate fire. Four people were killed and more seriously injured. Our thoughts are with the families of the dead and injured."
She added: "Those responsible for these murders must be brought to justice. Those who praise this attack must be condemned."
Hamas spokesman Hussam Badran on Thursday called the attack's perpetrators members of the resistance, but did not say they belonged to his group.
The attack was welcome news at the beginning of the month of Ramadan, Badran said, adding he was hoping for more such news.
Meanwhile, the mayor of Yatta, the West Bank hometown of the assailants, said that they were not known to be members of terror groups.
"We're very surprised, and the only explanation for what happened is that the two were influenced by all that has happened recently," said Mayor Musa Muhamara, referring to the wave of violence that began in October. "It must be mentioned that the Hebron area, including Yatta, has paid a heavy price in terms of those killed and of incidents, and this apparently influenced them."
According to Palestinian reports, Yatta has been cordoned off by the IDF, and is expected to carry out arrests and interrogate the perpetrators' families.