Five Wounded in Suspected Shooting Attack in Central Israeli City

Suspect arrested after incident near Petah Tikvah's open-air market.

Yaniv Kubovich
Yaniv Kubovich
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
A bus following a shooting attack in Petah Tikva, Israel, February 9, 2017.
A bus following a shooting attack in Petah Tikva, Israel, February 9, 2017.Credit: Moti Milrod
Yaniv Kubovich
Yaniv Kubovich

Five people were hospitalized following a suspected shooting attack in the central Israeli city of Petah Tikvah.

They were evacuated to the city's Beilinson hospital along with three people who were treated for shock.

The police arrested an 18-year-old youth from Nablus, who is suspected of commiting the attack. The police commented that the suspect shot at passersby in Petah Tivka's open-air market. When his weapon apparently jammed, he grabbed a sharp object and stabbed a civilian.

A spokesman for the police's central disctrict, Chief Superintendent Ami Ben David, stated, "An 18-year-old resident of Nablus arrived at the market in the Petah Tivka market, opened fire from a long gun on Baron Hirsch Street and then ran through the street until at a certain point he stopped shooting."

Ben David said civilians chased after him and eventually overtook him inside a sewing machine repair shop. "The police arrived and took away his weapon very quickly," he noted. "The man was taken for investigation by Israel Police."

The Petah Tikva sewing machine repair shop, in which the terror suspect was captured, subdued and disarmed, February 9, 2017.Credit: Moti Milrod

Medics from Magen David Adom emergency responders treated three people injured by gunshot wounds to their lower bodies.

Beilinson hospital in Petah Tikva reported admitting two people with light shooting wounds in their lower extremities, one person in moderate condition with dark bruises,one person with a moderate stab wound, one person with superficial wounds and two people suffering psychological trauma. In addition, MDA said a 30-year-old man was brought to the hospital after suffering a head wound during the incident.

A spokesman for MDA said the shooting victims were a man and a woman each in their 50s as well as a woman in her 30s. In addition, a man about 40 was suffering from a stab to his upper body, according to MDA.

An MDA medic said he found the 40-year-old man conscious with a wound to his neck. The man told him he was stabbed trying to capture the suspect.

One of the injured victims, Avi Assaf, told Haaretz: "I stood on Salor Street and I heard shots and shouts of 'terrorist, terrorist.' I saw the terrorist running. He entered a sewing shop and tried to stab me. He somehow stabbed me with a screwdriver and then all the rest entered." He added: "We were four to five people who beat him into submission because he did not want to give up. They beat him with a club and a stone."

Click the alert icon to follow topics: