17-year-old Palestinian Killed in West Bank Clashes Following Deadly Israeli Raid in Nablus

Clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces erupt in Hebron and across the West Bank hours after a military raid left three dead, including a 16-year-old

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
A Palestinian protester runs during clashes with Israeli forces during their raid in the old town of Nablus, on Tuesday.
A Palestinian protester runs during clashes with Israeli forces during their raid in the old town of Nablus, on Tuesday.Credit: JAAFAR ASHTIYEH - AFP

A 17-year-old Palestinian was killed by Israeli fire in Hebron on Tuesday, the Palestinian Health Ministry said, as clashes erupt across the West Bank hours after a military raid in Nablus left at least three Palestinians dead.

Days of war: Understanding this weekend's Israel-Gaza flare-up

Subscribe
0:00
-- : --

Momen Yassin Jaber was hit in the chest, according to the ministry, and was taken to a local hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds. Another person, also hit in the chest, is in critical condition, and a third man was seriously wounded, the ministry added.

Momen Yassin Jaber, the 17-year old Palestinian killed by Israeli fire in Hebron today.

The Israeli military confirmed its forces fired at a group of Palestinians who were throwing rocks and launching fireworks at them. No Israeli casualties were reported.

In a separate incident, emergency medics said that two Israelis, a 19-year-old woman and a 12-year-old boy were taken to Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Karem after stones were thrown at a vehicle near Kiryat Arba, nor far from Hebron.

In El Bireh, near Ramallah, at least six Palestinians were hit by live fire. Two of them are in serious condition, according to the Health Ministry. The Israeli military said forces responded to a "violent riot" there, in which stones were hurled at a major West Bank highway.

Palestinians react to gunfire during the funeral for Ibrahim al-Nabulsi and two others killed in the West Bank town of Nablus during clashes with Israeli forces, Tuesday.Credit: Majdi Mohammed /AP

Earlier on Tuesday, Israeli security forces killed a Palestinian militant commander Ibrahim al-Nabulsi and another fighter, Islam Sabouh, in a gun battle in Nablus in the West Bank, the military said, triggering further clashes in which Palestinians said a 16-year-old was also killed.

Israeli forces surrounded the house of al-Nabulsi, a senior commander of the Fatah's Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades militant group long on Israel's wanted list.

Al-Nabulsi, barricaded inside, refused to surrender and was killed along with another militant during a gun battle with Israeli forces, who also used shoulder-fired missiles in the fighting, the military said.

The shoot-out was the deadliest incident in the West Bank since Israel and the Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad ended three days of fighting in Gaza, the worst in more than a year.

Al-Nabulsi was a member of the recently formed "Nablus Brigade", a Palestinian militant alliance in the city which also includes Islamic Jihad's gunmen. Hours after the shoot-out, tens of thousands attended his funeral and called for revenge.

The gun battle was followed by clashes during which the military said its troops responded with live fire against Palestinians throwing rocks and explosives at soldiers.

Islamic Jihad said the 16-year-old, Hussein Jamal Taha, was killed while participating in a confrontation with Israeli troops.

Palestinian health officials confirmed the three deaths and said 40 more people were injured in total. There were no reports of Israeli casualties.

The Israeli military said al-Nabulsi was suspected of carrying out several shooting attacks against Israeli civilians and soldiers.

Israel has stepped up raids in recent months in the West Bank after men from the area carried out deadly street attacks in Israel. The Western-backed Palestinian Authority regularly condemns such incursions.

According to Palestinian officials, at least 44 Palestinians, at least half of them civilians, were killed during three days of Israeli strikes on Gaza, which ended with a truce on Sunday between Israel and Islamic Jihad that has largely held. Israel has maintained that some of the deaths were caused by rockets launched by Islamic Jihad at Israel, but which fell inside the Strip instead.

The militants fired more than 1,000 rockets at southern Israel although there were no reported Israeli casualties as many were intercepted by Israeli defenses.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott