A group of Palestinians opened fire on an Israeli military outpost near Nablus on Thursday overnight, instigating a gun fight which left at least three Palestinians wounded.
Israel's military spokesperson said the gunman, identified as 23-year-old Mahmoud Khajir from Balata refugee camp, arrived by car with a group to the city's entrance, exited the vehicle by foot and began shooting, prompting Israeli troops to return fire. Israeli soldiers evacuated the Palestinian security forces to receive medical treatment.
The Palestinian Red Crescent reported that, besides the gunman, two people were wounded by live fire in the incident and were taken to a hospital in Nablus, while a preliminary investigation by the Israeli military later found that more Palestinians were wounded. No injuries were reported among the Israeli soldiers.
- The military does PR for itself, and Israeli media play along
- Israeli forces killed 60 Palestinians in just six months
- As Arab-hating fundamentalists thrive in Israeli politics, U.S. Jews must step in
The Israeli army also said that it arrested four Palestinians "suspected of terror activities" and confiscated weapons in overnight raids in the West Bank city of Hebron and the towns of Beita and Bani Na'im.
On Sunday, two Palestinians were killed in an exchange of fire with Israeli forces in Nablus. According to Israeli police, the two armed men shot toward members of Israeli anti-terrorism force, Yamam, who had entered Nablus to arrest a man suspected of shooting at Jewish Israeli worshipers and soldiers at Joseph's Tomb last month.