Prime Minister Yair Lapid spoke to Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi on Sunday, and assured him that he would look into reports claiming that there is a mass grave of Egyptian soldiers in central Israel.
It's not all about Bibi: Election Overdose returns
According to a statement from Lapid's office, the two leaders also discussed bilateral and regional issues, as well as preparations for U.S. President Joe Biden's visit to Israel and the West Bank later this week.
Lapid and Sissi also agreed to plan a meeting "soon," the Israeli statement said.
According to a Haaretz report last week, dozens of Egyptian commandos who were killed in the 1967 Six-Day War were buried side-by-side in Kibbutz Nachshon, west of Jerusalem. The Egyptian force had planned to capture the air bases at Lod, Tel Nof and Ramle, but were met by Israeli soldiers and a defense force comprised of residents from local Jewish communities.
The story was hushed up; a military source who later took an interest in the subject admitted to Haaretz that he was the one who demanded that the story of the incident be banned for publication over the years, because its revelation, he said, “was liable to generate a regional furor.”
- The Saudis will invest $8 billion in Egypt. Now all it needs is $142 billion
- 1967 and the Arab myth of liberating Palestine
- 'Trying to turn Egypt into Dubai': Cairo's historic Nile River houseboats removed
According to a statement from the Prime Minister's Office, it was Sissi who broached the subject in the conversation with Lapid. The prime minister noted that he had instructed the military secretary to examine the matter in-depth and to update the relevant authorities in Egypt.
Lapid and Sissi also "emphasized the importance of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel, which lays the groundwork for a strategic relationship and is a central pillar to regional stability," the statement said.