Police, Palestinians Clash in Jerusalem Refugee Camp Following Attack

After a deadly shooting attack earlier on Sunday, clashes between Palestinians and police forces broke out in the Shoafat refugee camp, which was home to the assailant, Fadi Abu Shkeidem

Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Clashes at the Shoafat refugee camp in East Jerusalem on Sunday evening.
Clashes at the Shoafat refugee camp in East Jerusalem on Sunday evening.

Clashes broke out in Jerusalem on Sunday evening at the entrance to the Shoafat refugee camp in East Jerusalem between residents of the camp and Israeli police following a shooting attack in Jerusalem's Old City that killed one Israeli and wounded four.

The camp had been home to Fadi Abu Shkeidem, the Hamas activist who carried out the terrorist attack earlier in the day and who was shot and killed by Israeli forces. Prior to the clash with police, hundreds of residents of the camp participated in a march at which Hamas flags were flown. In the clash at the entrance to the camp, some of the Palestinians threw stones at the police.

According to Palestinian reports, several members of Abu Shkhaidem's family were arrested on Sunday, including his son, daughter and brother. A large contingent of police entered his home and conducted a search.

“Bennett’s feel-good speeches to U.S. Jews won’t silence criticism of Israel’s policy on Palestine”

Abu Shkhaidem used an automatic weapon to shoot at civilians from short range near the Chain Gate adjacent to the Temple Mount, before he was shot dead by security forces. Police then shut down the Old City, fearing a copycat attack.

One of victims of Abu Shkeidem's attack, 25-year-old Eliyahu Kay, was taken to the hospital with a head injury and later died of his wounds. A new immigrant from South Africa, Kay lived in Modi'in and worked as a guide for the Western Wall Heritage Foundation.

In response to the attack, several hundred young people affiliated with the right-wing Religious Zionism party marched from the Jerusalem's Jaffa Gate to the site of the terrorist attack and from there to the Western Wall.

Among the marchers, there were scattered calls for revenge. At the site of the terrorist attack, they recited Psalms and lit candles. Two Knesset Religious Zionism Knesset members, Simcha Rothman and Orit Strock, joined the marchers.

The police closed off access to the area and a large number of police officers surrounded the march participants. The event ended at the Western Wall without incident.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:



Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

Already signed up? LOG IN


בנימין נתניהו השקת ספר

Netanyahu’s Israel Is About to Slam the Door on the Diaspora

עדי שטרן

Head of Israel’s Top Art Academy Leads a Quiet Revolution

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

Skyscrapers in Ramat Gan and Tel Aviv.

Israel May Have Caught the Worst American Disease, New Research Shows

ג'אמיל דקוור

Why the Head of ACLU’s Human Rights Program Has Regrets About Emigrating From Israel


Netanyahu’s Election Win Dealt a Grievous Blow to Judaism