Israel's Watchdog Issued Warning a Decade Ago. Last Night, 45 People Were Killed During Lag Ba'omer Festivities

In 2008 and again in 2011, the State Comptroller's office implicitly warned of a potential disaster on Mount Meron

Ofer Aderet
Ofer Aderet
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
An ultra-orthodox man at the scene in Mt. Meron, northern Israel, today.
An ultra-orthodox man at the scene in Mt. Meron, northern Israel, today.Credit: rami shllush
Ofer Aderet
Ofer Aderet

The State Comptroller’s Office warned a decade ago of safety deficiencies at the tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai on Mount Meron, where at least 45 people were killed and 150 injured at the mass Lag Ba'omer festivities overnight Thursday.

In 2008 and again in 2011, then-State Comptroller Micha Lindenstraus published reports that implicitly warned of a potential disaster on Mount Meron.

One report noted that the site of the tomb was not properly prepared to accommodate mass gatherings.

How Bibi’s Jewish supremacists fanned the flames in Jerusalem. LISTEN

In the 2008 report, the State Comptroller’s Office said that "all of the building additions and changes made to the tomb site and around it had been done without the approval of the local and district planning and building committees."

The report alleged that the regional council, which is the local government at the site, “had refrained from overseeing the issues at the site and issuing demolition orders."

Medics and rescue workers attend to the Lag B'Omer event in Mount Meron, northern Israel, today.
Ambulance services working to evacuate the injured
Rescue services at work after the stampede at Mount Meron
Disaster at Mount Meron

In the disaster early Friday, it appears that the cramming of people in a narrow access path has led to the casualties. The comptroller report mentioned that “the access roads and paths are narrow and not appropriate to accommodate the hundreds of thousands of people who visit the site.”

In regard to the manner in which the site was being run, the Comptroller’s Office has also said that it had "caused harm to the site and the public."

“There are no grounds for permitting the current situation to continue,” the Comptroller’s Office concluded, “and this includes a neglected building and officials who treat it as their own” at a site that the report described as “of great importance both from a national standpoint and a religious standpoint."

The northern district police commander of the Israel Police, Shimon Lavi, said on Friday that he bears responsibility for the deaths at the site.

“I will put things on the table here. I, Shimon Lavi, the northern district commander, for better or worse, bear overall responsibility,” he admitted. “We uncompromisingly prepared for all of the scenarios relating to safety. I can tell you that at the moment, we are at the stage of gathering evidence. There’s a complex effort here to gather evidence to properly get to the truth.”

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

SUBSCRIBE
Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer

Newly appointed Israeli ambassador to Chile, Gil Artzyeli, poses for a group picture alongside Rabbi Yonatan Szewkis, Chilean deputy Helia Molina and Gerardo Gorodischer, during a religious ceremony in a synagogue in Vina del Mar, Chile last week.

Chile Community Leaders 'Horrified' by Treatment of Israeli Envoy

Queen Elizabeth attends a ceremony at Windsor Castle, in June 2021.

Over 120 Countries, but Never Israel: Queen Elizabeth II's Unofficial Boycott