The Israeli military demolished the home of a Palestinian teenager who had stabbed an Israeli man to death in a terrorist attack in September, the army stated.
A large military force arrived Thursday night at Khalil Jabarin's home in the West Bank village of Yatta near Hebron. The force evacuated the home's residents and blew up the third floor of the 3-story building.
According to the Israel Defense Forces' Spokesperson's Unit, dozens of Palestinians hurled rocks at the soldiers who demolished Jabarin's home. The military said soldiers used riot dispersal means to turn them away and that forces at the scene were not injured.
In September, 17-year-old Khalil Jabarin stabbed to death Ari Fuld, a 40-year-old Israeli-American man at the entrance to the Harim Mall, close to the Kfar Etzion settlement.
- Israeli-American Man, 40, Killed in Stabbing Attack at West Bank Mall
- West Bank Stabbing Victim Was 'Passionate Defender of Israel,' U.S. Envoy Says
- Despite Mother's Warning, Israel to Demolish Family Home of West Bank Terrorist
Fuld, a father of four from the West Bank settlement of Efrat, shot and wounded Jabarin before succumbing to his wounds.
Israeli security forces raided Jabarin's home the day after the attack and mapped the house ahead of its planned demolition. Approval to demolish was given only last month after the family had appealed the demolition to the High Court of Justice.
In the days after the attackk it was reported that Jabarin's mother had alerted Palestinian and Israeli security forces of her son's intentions prior to the attack and that the Israeli army said that Jabarin's mother came to the military checkpoint Meiter in My. Hebron and told soldiers of her son's plan to carry out an attack. However, in court it turned out that the mother came looking for her son at the checkpoint without telling soldiers why, and that the commander present deduced the reason.
Israel's policy is to demolish the family homes of terrorists as a deterrence mechanism. In most cases, Palestinian families apply to the High Court, which often delays the demolition. Since 2015, Israel has demolished the homes of 45 Palestinians who committed attacks against Israelis.
Fuld's widow Miriam said in November that "We have to show them that they have to pay a price. That it’s not enough to try a murderer, it isn’t enough.”
Ibrahim Ali, the mayor of Yatta, said in September that he condemned any expression of violence by any side, towards Palestinians and towards Israelis. "But you need to know that your government incites and is the one causing these things, it's pushing the Palestinian people everywhere, in Gaza and in the West Bank."