Israeli Court Rejects Appeal by Jewish Minor Suspected of Killing Palestinian Woman

The minor to be held in custody until Tuesday, is one out of five settlers suspected of killing 47-year-old Aisha Mohammed Rabi in October

Yotam Berger
Yotam Berger
Send in e-mailSend in e-mail
Demonstrators protest the arrest of yeshiva students in relation to the murder of Aisha Rabi, Jerusalem, January 2019
Demonstrators protest the arrest of yeshiva students in relation to the murder of Aisha Rabi, Jerusalem, January 2019Credit: Emil Salman
Yotam Berger
Yotam Berger

An Israeli district court rejected an appeal by a Jewish minor suspected of involvement in the October murder of a Palestinian woman in the West Bank, and ordered to have him kept in custody.

Deliberations were held behind closed doors due to a gag-order imposed on the case and suspect's age. He is to be remanded at least until Tuesday, as determined last week when his arrest was extended.

The minor is one out of five settlers suspected of killing 47-year-old Aisha Mohammed Rabi, who was driving with her husband near a West Bank checkpoint south of Nablus when a group of settlers allegedly threw stones at their car.

>> Outcry over treatment of Jewish terror suspects aims to thwart Shin Bet investigation | Analysis ■ Their pretense is over. The settler leadership is a violent, lawless, racist gang of vigilantes | Opinion

Rabi, a mother of eight, was reportedly struck in the head with a stone and died shortly after. Her husband was lightly wounded.

The court convened Sunday morning after the suspect's attorneys appealed the decision to keep him in custody last Thursday. Initially, the minor's legal team asked the Supreme Court to order the Lod District Court to advance deliberations. It did not, but a recommendation was made in light of the suspect's age.

A session was scheduled for Friday as a result, but security forces failed to bring the suspect before the court. His legal team refused to deliberate without him present, and so the session was postponed to Sunday.

The minor is the only one of five suspects – all students of the "Pri Ha'aretz" yeshiva in the West Bank settlement of Rehelim – to still be held in police custody, as the other four were released to house arrest last week.

In his ruling, the judge said that in the case of the fifth suspect, there was no appropriate alternative to his incarceration due to the nature of the allegations and concern over obstruction of justice.

The suspect's attorneys said the information published from the ruling does not necessarily reflect it in full, and claimed their client remained in custody pending a specialist's opinion commissioned by the case's investigators.

Click the alert icon to follow topics:

Comments

SUBSCRIBERS JOIN THE CONVERSATION FASTER

Automatic approval of subscriber comments.
From $1 for the first month

Already signed up? LOG IN

ICYMI

Charles Lindbergh addressing an America First Committee rally on October 3, 1941.

Ken Burns’ Brilliant ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust’ Has Only One Problem

The projected rise in sea level on a beach in Haifa over the next 30 years.

Facing Rapid Rise in Sea Levels, Israel Could Lose Large Parts of Its Coastline by 2050

Prime Minister Yair Lapid, this month.

Lapid to Haaretz: ‘I Have Learned to Respect the Left’

“Dubi,” whose full name is secret in keeping with instructions from the Mossad.

The Mossad’s Fateful 48 Hours Before the Yom Kippur War

Tal Dilian.

As Israel Reins in Its Cyberarms Industry, an Ex-intel Officer Is Building a New Empire

Queen Elizabeth II, King Charles III and a British synagogue.

How the Queen’s Death Changes British Jewry’s Most Distinctive Prayer